Thursday, February 23, 2012

Lent

A lot of people see Lent as a sort of "New Years resolution" for God. I promise not to eat junk food until Easter, I wont drink Dr. Pappers...etc. This is okay to an extent, but what you should really be doing is making a change that draws you in closer with God. Instead of giving something up, take something up. Volunteer during Lent, make an effort to pray more, be kinder. What I plan to do is set aside 30 minutes each evening to just read the Bible. I have to admit that I've never just read the entire book straigh through before. I really dont want to go to Heaven one day and explain why I could read 7 Harry Potters and 4 Twilights but couldn't read the 1 book for God....might look bad.

Rejoice always, pray continually,  give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus."
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

1 comment:

  1. Good luck with your Lenten goal! I am spending more time in God's word during this Lent season as well, hoping to make it a permanent daily habit past these forty days. Definitely agree that most people make a New Years Resolution for Lent. It's like, "hey I failed on my NY resolution, but Lent's coming up, I'll start over then!".

    ReplyDelete